Saturday, June 1, 2013

Life is for the Living

Since I'm still on "vacation" from writing, waiting for the notes for Silencing Sapphire, I have spent the last few days working on Project X. The piece could be something, or nothing at all, it's simply a story that's been in my mind for awhile and since I can't work on the Sapphire series, I felt it was better to momentarily dig into X, rather than doing my "nothing at all." Wasting time is a huge pet peeve of mine as I often feel like I need to be writing all the time. When I say all the time, I really do mean all the time. If I accidentally sleep more than my designated 7 hours, I panic because I've lost a whole hour of writing time.

Because I constantly feel this way, it seems I have forgotten how to properly live. It became evident the other day when I declined a trip to the cool pool in sizzling 100 degree weather.
"Why?" my husband asked.
"Because I have to write, that's why," I said, adding my favorite snort.
"A break is good for your brain. Do you know the word? Brrr-eak. You can write tomorrow."
"Tomorrow I might wake up to a post-apocalyptic zombie world and I won't be able to write. All my time will be spent running away from zombies."
"If zombies take over the world tomorrow, the few people that survive won't have time to read the book anyway...and zombies don't read."
I offered a cold stared. Got a cold stare back.
"Touche," I said, then grabbed my bikini.

After spending the first 30 minutes by the pool, feeling guilty about not writing while keeping up a half-hearted discussion about what we would do in case of a zombie apocalypse (oddly enough, not the first time we've had this conversation,) I actually started enjoying myself. When the zombies no longer felt relevant, I grabbed my book, Beautiful Creatures, which has been marked at page 256 for two months, and spent three hours reading, pool side, in the sun. One small–nearly non-existentstep for mankind, one giant leap for me.

So, note to self: A break is good for your brain. Zombies are not...they eat it.

Xoxo,
Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment