Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Happy Birthday(s)

Hi Everyone,

Today is May 20th and the birthdays of two very special people in my life.

The first person, I literally owe my life to. She nurtured me, read to me, stuck with me through my terrible-teens years, and went through the (from what I understand) traumatic task of birthing me. I am, of course, talking about my mother.
Someone who read both Stalking and Silencing Sapphire recently asked me if I based Vivienne, Sapphire's terribly unfit mother, on my own mother. For those who have wondered the same, the answer is no. I did, however, base Julia, Sapphire's ever caring housekeeper, on my mother.

That said... Happy birthday to my mom, Ylva!

The second person whose birthday it is today, is the character herself, Sapphire.
I chose May 20th for Sapphire to pay a homage to my mom, knowing she would read it and
giggle.

I don't know if other authors celebrate their characters' birthdays (or if it's even considered sane to do so?) but I do. I don't get a gift or bake a cake, mostly because there would be no one to blow out the candles, but also because I'm terrible at baking cakes. But I do wake up on May 20th and think: today is my mother's and Sapphire's birthdays. 

That said...Happy Birthday to my favorite character, Sapphire!

In other celebrations, I just reached my 50 K mark on the rough draft of SEVERING SAPPHIRE, which means I'm getting close to the climax and, inevitably, the end. Something that's always bitter sweet to me.

Xoxo,
Mia 


No comments:

Post a Comment