Saturday, August 22, 2015

Interview with Author Peter Hogenkamp


Today, I had the honor of interviewing Peter Hogenkamp. Peter is not only an author and an upcoming Wattpad sensation, but he also happens to be absolutely hi-larious!

Introduction

Peter Hogenkamp
Peter Hogenkamp is a practicing physician and author living in Rutland, Vermont. Peter's writing credits include ABSOLUTION, the first book of The Jesuit thriller series; THE LAZARUS MANUSCRIPT, a stand-alone medical thriller; and THE INTERN, a novel loosely based on Peter's medical internship, excerpts of which can be seen on Wattpad.

The Interview


Peter, when I think of your name, I imagine it said the way Lois from Family Guy yells “Peeda!” Does this bother you?
Of course it doesn't. I am a huge Family Guy fan--because it's impossible not to be. And Peter Griffin is one of the few people named Peter to whom I compare favorably. You think I want to sing side-by-side with Peter Frampton? (You clearly haven't heard me sing!) Ohhh, baby I love your way, everyday... (Imagine windows shattering and babies schrrrrreeeeeching.)

Is there perhaps another Peter you’d prefer my mind to associate you with?
In keeping with the first question, probably not. I am a huge Genesis fan and for that reason I love Peter Gabriel, but I lack his intensity. Peter Sellers was always a favorite but I don't look good in a trench coat. Peter Dinklage is a great actor but, at 6 feet 4 inches, I don't think I would make a convincing dwarf. Peter the Great was evidently great but I don't think I have the stomach to torture and execute all the people who disagree with me. So, it looks like I'm sticking with Peeda Griffin. (He's bumbling, yes, but well-intentioned at least.)

You’re a physician, an author, the creator of Prose and Cons, and a big family man. How do you find the time to write? And do you even have time for hobbies, like, Bigfoot hunting and playing the didgeridoo?
There is no such thing as Bigfoot--I prefer to call myself a Sasquatch hunter. And I have no idea what the didgeridoo is, but I do like to spend time learning the language of Mordor--which shall not be uttered here.

The Intern is loosely based on the experiences of your own professional life. Which of these characters would best fit you as a physician and why?  A) Dr. Cox from Scrubs. B) Dr “Hi, everybody” Nick from The Simpsons. C) Dr. Quinn – medicine woman. D) Dr. Richard Kimble. E) Dr. Evil from Austin Powers. 
Not even close. I have always loved Dr. Evil, and think I might even pass for him if the lighting isn't good. Plus, we had a similar upbringing:   "My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon ... luge lessons ... In the spring, we'd make meat helmets ... When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds — pretty standard, really."

You and I are both GOT fans. If you were dropped into Westeros or Essos, who would you try to ally with? And how would you, inevitably, be killed off?
Why Tyrion, of course: Who doesn't love a drunken dwarf with witty ripostes? Unfortunately, Tyrion would inevitably talk me in to stealing a dragon from Danirius Stormborn. I would succeed in riding off with Rhaegal, of course, only to fall to my death after consuming too much wine playing the Game of Thrones drinking game with Tyrion. (You drink every time a Stark gets killed.)

What do you tell people your favorite book is?
I tell people my favorite book is Curious George for two reasons: My parents wanted to name me George (after John Lennon) and I am dead ringer for the man in the yellow hat.

What is actually your favorite book?
The Lord of the Rings. I know I shouldn't say that--because I'm not a SF/F writer--but I can't help it. I read the book for the first time when I was nine, and re-read it every summer until was out of high school. More recently, I read it to every one of my children (I have 8 or 9) when they got into the third grade. (What third-grader doesn't want to read about the Doom of our Time?) That makes over a dozen times all the way through, and I never tired of it. I also loved Peter Jackson's movie adaptations (and no, I don't want to be compared to him either, I can't match that beard!)


Click Here to Read THE INTERN

A BIG thanks to Peter "Peeda" Hogenkamp for agreeing to this interview. It was a blast!

Want to read Peter's Wattpad story, The Intern? Have at it. You won't be disappointed.

You can also find Peter at:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment